Monday, January 4, 2010

"I was planning on my future as a homeless person. I had a really good spot picked out" -Larry David

Larry David rules and I am beginning to think that barring some sort of divine intervention that is going to be my future...

Today I had two interviews. The first, for a hostess position in a Midtown restaurant, went well. It was short, but I felt that I established decent rapport with the manager who I interviewed with and I was able to convey that I am a friendly person with a good background in hostessing. HOWEVER, I haven't heard back from her yet (...it's 7 pm...) so that makes me a bit nervous. She said that she may call me before today's end so who knows. In any case, my adventures previous to the interview reminded me of the classically lame movie where the small town girl makes the move to the big city and encounters way more than she anticipated. I entered the Subway at the wrong entrance and started going downtown instead of uptown, blah blah blah. Thankfully I had tacked on an extra twenty minutes to my travel time so I made it to the interview mere moments before I was supposed to be there.

After eating lunch at my apartment, I headed to my second interview for the Assistant to the Executive Director position at the nonprofit I mentioned. I maneuvered the subway successfully and was feeling good about my interview outfit (just purchased heels from Buffalo Exchange and nice skirt suit as inherited from the lady I babysat for in DC). Of course, this was fleeting; right before I turned onto Wall Street a man rushed up to me to say that he loved my pumps but I had chocolate on my butt. AWESOME. Thankfully, it was only on my coat and basically scrapped off after a few brushes of the hand. I was the first one to arrive for the group interview (forty minutes early? probably overdid it on that one...)

The group interview experience was odd. We watched a video on the organization (really inspiring, I recognize that sounds cliche) and then got into small groups. We were prompted to discuss certain aspects of our lives with three other interviewees while the EDirector and other staff observed. Nerve wracking. I think I did well, but who knows. We found out that the twelve of us were chosen out of 150 applicants so at least that is nice to know. They are going to pick certain candidates for individual interviews. Who knows what will happen! It would be a great fit but I am not going to go crazy and get my hopes up about it.

I have another interview tomorrow morning for a hostess position. After that...who knows? I am going to send out some more resumes this evening. I just want something, ANYTHING, to stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment